I just love to move my body! It doesn’t matter how old you are it is never too late to start exercising. If we don’t keep our bodies in shape through movement we start to lose muscle mass as we age. And as we lose muscle we gain fat. If we want to grow old with an abundance of energy to keep enjoying life, then we must keep active to keep our gut bacteria and mitochondria happy and regenerating. This way our muscles will stay formed and we will avoid obesity, osteoporosis and other autoimmune diseases as we age.
Personally, I love to run, swim, ride my horse and do HITT workouts at home. Horses are a great love of mine and even being with them releases feel-good hormones, gets me dirty and surrounded by nature, which is fantastic for my gut and overall health.
Benefits of regular exercise:
- exercise increases gut microbes that assist in the production of short-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases as well as type 2 diabetes, obesity, and heart disease
- exercise strengthens your heart and improves your circulation. The increased blood flow raises the oxygen levels in your body
- regular exercise can also lower your blood pressure and triglyceride levels
- exercise can help prevent excess weight gain or help maintain weight loss by burning calories
- exercise boosts energy by delivering oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently
- exercise promotes better sleep by helping you fall asleep faster, sleep better and deepen your sleep. Being physically tired can be good for you
- exercise is great for your sex life: If you feel too tired or out of shape for physical intimacy, then regular physical activity can improve energy levels. It also increases your confidence about your physical appearance, this may, in turn, boost your sex life. Men are more likely to have fewer problems with erectile dysfunction and women have enhanced arousal (according to research)
- exercise is fun and socially rewarding, giving you the chance to unwind, enjoy the outdoors or simply engage in activities that make you happy. Physical activity can also help you connect with family or friends in a fun social setting.